Looking for the perfect getaway? Discover the magic of cheap family beach vacations on the East Coast. This region boasts a diverse array of beautiful beaches, charming coastal towns, and fun-filled attractions for the whole family. With so many options, it’s easy to find an affordable vacation spot that will leave everyone happy.
In this travel guide, we’ll explore four budget-friendly destinations along the East Coast, perfect for family vacations. We’ll also share tips on how to save money and make the most of your trip. So, grab your sunscreen and beach towels, and let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
1. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Myrtle Beach is a popular vacation destination for families, thanks to its beautiful sandy beaches and abundance of attractions. The Grand Strand, a 60-mile stretch of coastline, offers endless opportunities for fun in the sun.
While staying in Myrtle Beach, you can spend your days splashing in the waves, building sandcastles, or exploring the many family-friendly attractions. Don’t miss the iconic Myrtle Beach SkyWheel, the Family Kingdom Amusement Park, or the Ripley’s Aquarium.
To save money, look for deals on accommodations and attractions during off-peak travel times. Consider renting a beach house or condo for a more spacious and cost-effective lodging option.
2. Virginia Beach, Virginia
Virginia Beach is another great destination for cheap family beach vacations on the East Coast. This coastal city is known for its long sandy beaches, vibrant boardwalk, and beautiful natural surroundings.
A visit to First Landing State Park is a must for outdoor enthusiasts, offering hiking, biking, and beachcombing opportunities. The Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center and the Adventure Park at the Virginia Aquarium are also popular attractions for families.
To stretch your vacation dollars, look for free or low-cost activities, like strolling along the boardwalk, exploring the local parks, or attending one of the many annual events held in the city.
3. Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Rehoboth Beach is a charming coastal town, perfect for families looking for a more relaxed and laid-back beach vacation. This picturesque destination features a lovely beach, a quaint boardwalk, and plenty of unique shops and restaurants.
While in Rehoboth Beach, don’t miss the Funland amusement park, which offers affordable rides and games for kids of all ages. For nature lovers, Cape Henlopen State Park is just a short drive away and provides opportunities for hiking, birdwatching, and exploring the coastal dunes.
To save on accommodations, consider renting a vacation home or staying at a family-friendly hotel during the shoulder season. Keep an eye out for discounts and deals on local attractions, as well.
4. Outer Banks, North Carolina
Outer Banks is a chain of barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina, offering stunning beaches, rich history, and exciting outdoor adventures. The area is famous for its wild horses, historic lighthouses, and the Wright Brothers National Memorial.
Families can enjoy a variety of activities, such as kayaking, surfing, and beachcombing, or explore the many attractions and parks, including Jockey’s Ridge State Park and the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island.
To find affordable lodging, consider renting a beach house or staying in a campground. Plan your visit during the shoulder season or take advantage of last-minute deals to save on your vacation expenses.
Cheap family beach vacations on the East Coast are not only possible but also incredibly enjoyable. With beautiful beaches, family-friendly attractions, and a variety of lodging options, these destinations offer something for everyone. By planning carefully and taking advantage of deals and discounts, you can create unforgettable memories with your loved ones without breaking the bank.
Whether you choose Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, Rehoboth Beach, or the Outer Banks, your family is sure to have an amazing time. So start planning your East Coast adventure today, and get ready to create lifelong memories on the sandy shores of these fantastic destinations.
FAQs and More Tips
- What is the best time to visit the East Coast for a beach vacation? The best time to visit the East Coast for a beach vacation is typically between May and September, when the weather is warm and sunny. However, visiting during the shoulder seasons (spring and fall) can often result in lower prices and fewer crowds.
- How can I save money on my family beach vacation? Some tips for saving money on your family beach vacation include:
- Travel during the shoulder season or off-peak times.
- Book accommodations and attractions in advance, and look for discounts or deals.
- Rent a vacation home or condo instead of staying in a hotel.
- Prepare your meals instead of eating out for every meal.
- What should I pack for a family beach vacation on the East Coast? Essential items to pack for a family beach vacation include beach towels, sunscreen, swimsuits, hats, sunglasses, and comfortable shoes. Don’t forget to bring along toys and games for the beach, as well as a cooler for snacks and drinks.
- Are there any hidden gems or lesser-known vacation spots on the East Coast? Yes! The East Coast is full of hidden gems and lesser-known vacation spots, such as Tybee Island in Georgia, Block Island in Rhode Island, and Jekyll Island in Georgia. These destinations offer a more relaxed and off-the-beaten-path experience for families seeking a unique beach vacation.
- What are some good dining options for families in these beach destinations? Many of the beach destinations mentioned offer a variety of family-friendly dining options, including casual seafood shacks, pizza joints, and ice cream parlors. Don’t forget to try the local specialties, such as fresh seafood in the Outer Banks or boardwalk fries in Rehoboth Beach.
- Are there any safety tips to follow while visiting the beach with kids? Yes, ensuring safety while visiting the beach with kids is important. Some safety tips include:
- Always supervise children when they are in or near the water.
- Apply sunscreen regularly and wear protective clothing to prevent sunburn.
- Keep an eye on the local weather and be prepared for sudden changes in conditions.
- Observe and follow beach safety flags and warnings.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
- What are some alternative beach activities for kids who aren’t strong swimmers? There are many beach activities that don’t require strong swimming skills, such as:
- Building sandcastles and other sand sculptures.
- Collecting seashells and exploring tide pools.
- Playing beach games like frisbee, paddleball, or beach volleyball.
- Flying kites on the beach.
- Taking a guided beach or nature walk to learn about the local ecosystem.
- How can I keep my family entertained during the evenings or on rainy days? In addition to daytime beach fun, many East Coast beach destinations offer a variety of evening and indoor activities to keep your family entertained, such as:
- Visiting local museums, aquariums, or science centers.
- Attending a movie, live theater performance, or family-friendly comedy show.
- Exploring indoor amusement parks, arcades, or trampoline parks.
- Going bowling, playing mini-golf, or participating in an escape room.
- Enjoying a family game night in your vacation rental or hotel room.